Twice I have been bitten by something in the Dev channel breaking something I need, meaning I had to downgrade to the Release (stable) version. What I have discovered is that the Dev profile will not load in the stable release. After a long of trial and error, I have found that the following procedure makes this process somewhat painless.
- Go to the C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data directory and copy the Default folder to Default-dev.
- Uninstall the Dev Channel version of Google Chrome. It doesn’t matter if you tell it to delete your browsing history; you’ll be doing that later anyways.
- Download and install the stable release of Google Chrome. When Chrome starts, shut it down.
- Delete everything in the C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default directory
- Copy the following files from the Default-dev directory to the newly-blank Default directory:
- Local Storage
Now when you open Chrome most of your settings should be there.